Did you attend any in-person events in 2022? Are you planning on attending more live events in 2023? While ZOOM sessions are great for connecting people, you can’t discount the value of live interactions with fellow colleagues at industry events. The power of networking – Live venues are great for building new relationships and expanding your brand’s reach.
COVID-19 may have caused you to reallocate travel and event funds from 2020 and 2021 toward capturing a dividend of sorts. As a result, maybe you used those funds to help cover lost revenue from a tough year. However, this year we started to make our way back towards a normal way of doing business, and now may be the time to plan your 2023 event schedule as we return to in-person venues.
Plan for the New Year
As I’ve previously written, there are good reasons I refer to Industry as one of the three rings of influence.
Here are some reasons not to succumb to the temptation to pull back from those events as you set your 2023 plans:
- The relationships and perspectives gained by mixing with your industry counterparts are critical to your long-term success.
- It’s never been easier for government guests to attend virtual events. Therefore, many government officials are actually more comfortable and more open in this setting.
- You can use the event as leverage to request a follow-up engagement.
- The nature of the events may have changed over the last couple of years, but the ability to connect with colleagues as a result of your shared association will sustain.
- The collective voice of your association continues to amplify your voice in the other two rings of influence – agencies and in Congress.
If you’ve got a stack of association renewals for membership, sponsorship, and participation on your desk, make the commitment. You’re investing in yourself, your future, and your professional colleagues.
Need help engaging with the federal government for policy or access to funding for your product? If you need help with this, schedule a call with Gene.